4th of July

No, this isn't exclusively about Donald Trump!
wek

4th of July

Post by wek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:38 am

What does Patriotism mean to you? The attached video is a July 4th speech that defines this term for me better than anything I have seen or heard for a very long time.

I'll warn you up front: The speaker in this video is a highly controversial (Democratic) candidate for POTUS in the 2020 election. She is a candidate that frankly has zero chance of winning, and I'm not even convinced she wants or is trying to win. Worse still, mingled with her patriotic message are partisan policy proposals, some of which I disagree with. That said however, I very much DO agree with the main thrust of her speech.

If you can, please suspend all of your political ideological filters for the duration of this video. In other words, resist the urge to close your mind to the totality of this message if (when) you hear something you disagree with. If that approach sounds dangerous to you, don't worry. I do this all the time, and I've never lost my own opinions by suspending them temporarily -- but I have learned several things that I might not have otherwise. ;)

After you've watched this video, I would ask you to ask yourself two questions. 1) Is Marianne describing the America you grew up believing in? 2) Does your answer to the first question inspire any course of action in you?

The answers to those questions only matter to you (of course), and I'm not asking you to confide your answers to me. That said, I would never discourage you from discussing your views on this topic with whomever, whenever you feel ready to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8GHh9ha5ok

Happy Independence Day,

Bill K.